Archive Page 2

Ready to go back to work…(1/9)

well, here we are at 3 1/2 weeks after the surgery and i am ready for work. well, not really; i still tire too easily and probably won’t be able to stand up in front of the room for very long before i have to sit down and rest. i am down to just one nap a day and 1 or 2 vicodin a day (and today i haven’t taken any – but will probably take one soon). my side still feels like it is being pulled and stretched, but it isn’t as bad as it used to be. i am walking every day (doing 3 or 4 laps around my court and walking over to the neighboring court – about 20 – 25 minutes walking time). well, next week will be the week i go back and we will see how i do at work. 🙂

I hate the fucking pain…(12/28)

gawd the pain is awful. i have been told that kidney surgery is one of the more painful surgeries, and they weren’t kidding. i am at two weeks into my recovery and it feels like I will never get better. i am glad for the vicodin but still….I would like for the pain to go away so i can go about my daily life. right now my life is sleeping and moaning. i try to do things but the pain doesn’t allow me to think very clearly or for long periods of time.
well, in good news, the red sox traded for andrew bailey as our closer. he should be less heartache-inducing than papelbon. #redsox

I’m a survivor (12/22)…

so, i had my post-op appointment with my urologist today. Everything is good to go! my tumor was easy to get to and they got it all out. I am in horrible pain, however, but 1000mg of Vicodin takes care of that! 🙂 He said that the RCC that I had only has a 5% recurrence rate, and that if it does come back it comes back sooner rather than later. That is why they are going to monitor me for 5 years and if no more incidences of cancer, I am done seeing my urologist. I made sure to say a prayer of thanks to my urologist and all of the nurses at Memorial Medical Clinic, Modesto, CA. They are the best. So, as a survivor, do i need to do the annual cancer run? and how does one train for a run?

Surgery Tomorrow…(12/15)

well, tomorrow is the big day. I am scheduled for a 12 noon surgery to have a partial nephrectomy. I am trying to have a brave face, but am scared as fuck. i don’t want the surgery; i don’t want the cancer; i just want to live my life and go about my daily business and enjoy the 3 week break that i am supposed to have from school. 😦

Biopsy Today (11/1)…

Going in at 11:30 a.m. today to get my biopsy done. One hopes that it will be benign, but am OK with it being cancerous. they will just go in and cut out the part of my kidney that is bad. No problem, right? 🙂

Cancer…(10/8)

So my results are back from the CT scan. My gastro. calls me (and emails me) the results: a lesion on my right kidney mostly likely indicating kidney cancer. 2.5cm homogeneous mass on my right kidney (as well as there being an 11mm mass, but that one isn’t as concerning). I have a meeting with a urologist Tuesday to try and figure out what is going on. I don’t think I have come to terms yet with the words and concept. At this stage, though, it is “as far as we know” it is cancer. They aren’t 100% positive, but there really shouldn’t be a mass on/in your kidney. I will have more details Tuesday, but I am still scared.

Update: Saw my urologist today. He showed me the CT scans and, boy, does that tumor really show up. It was pretty cool. So the course of action is to get a biopsy at the end of this month just to make sure it is malignant. (90% chance that it is; but I am hoping that I am the other 10% – benign.) Once we confirm it is malignant, we will then cut it out and I will be good to go. 🙂

Francona is gone, and Lackey is still a Red Sock (9/30)…

why is Francona gone and Lackey still with the Red Sox (but a case could be made for Crawford as well)? Should be the other way around. And what happened with September? usually the Red Sox slide in August. As the saying goes, “there is always next year.” should have been this year.